John Carroll University
From Ignatian Wiki
|John Carroll University|
|Named after:||John Carroll, the first archbishop of the Catholic Church in the United States and founder of fellow Jesuit institution Georgetown University|
|President:||Rev. Robert Niehoff S.J.|
|Students:||3,100 undergraduates; 700 graduate students|
|Campus:||60 acres, 26 buildings|
|Athletics:||NCAA Division III|
|Colors:||Blue and Gold|
|Conference:||Ohio Athletic Conference|
|Address & Contact Information|
John Carroll University is a Jesuit university located in the United States in Cleveland, Ohio. It was founded in 1886 as Saint Ignatius College as a "college for men." It has been in continuous operation as a degree-granting institution since that time.
The university is organized into three schools including two undergraduate colleges: the College of Arts and Sciences and the Boler School of Business, and one graduate school, each defining its own academic programs under the auspices of the Academic Vice President. Since the mid 20th century, the university has been expanding both its campus resources and influence worldwide. Several new academic and residence buildings have been constructed and the university has expanded its international programs.
The Jesuits who founded St. Ignatius College were exiles from Germany, forced out by Bismarck's Kulturkampf. They brought with them the traditional structure of the Jesuit college as an extension of the apostolate of the religious community to prepare the student morally as well as intellectually. The principal instrument of this education was the classical course of seven years, in which the first three years were devoted to learning languages as necessary tools. The student was then considered prepared for university work. The next four years were devoted to the study of classical literature and Latin and Greek prose and poetry, and to developing the ability to express one's self in these languages, as well as in the vernacular, orally and in writing. The final year was devoted to philosophy. There were also electives in the sciences, history, and geography, as well as other subjects. If the student completed only six years, a certificate was given. Completion of the year of philosophy made the student eligible for the baccalaureate degree, which the college was empowered to grant when it was chartered in 1890 (State of Ohio 1890). The first two degrees were awarded in 1895.
In 1923, the College was renamed John Carroll University, after the first archbishop of the Catholic Church in the United States and founder of fellow Jesuit institution Georgetown University. In 1935, it was moved from its original location on the west side in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland to its present site in University Heights, a suburb 10 miles east of downtown Cleveland. The city had been renamed from Idlewood during the construction of the campus.
In September 1968, the University made the transition from full-time male enrollment to a fully coeducational institution, admitting women to the College of Arts and Sciences for the first time.
In recent years, the University has undergone extensive reconstruction and expansion. In 2003, the University opened the $66 million, 265,000 ft² (25,000 m²) Dolan Center for Science and Technology, named after alumnus Charles Dolan, founder of Cablevision.
In October of 2005, the Rev. Robert Niehoff was inaugurated the 24th president of John Carroll University.
University Heights; Cleveland, Ohio 44118-4581. Tel: 216.397.1886 Admission: 216.397.4294