Saint Louis University
From Ignatian Wiki
|Saint Louis University|
|City:||St. Louis, Missouri|
|President:||Lawrence Biondi, S.J|
|Faculty:||12:1 student faculty ratio|
|Students:||7,000 undergraduate, 4,000 graduate|
|Athletics:||NCAA Division I|
|Colors:||Blue and white|
|Address & Contact Information|
|Address:||221 N. Grand Boulevard|
Saint Louis University (SLU) is a private, co-educational Jesuit Catholic university located in the United States in St. Louis, Missouri. It was founded in 1818 as Saint Louis Academy and later taken over by the Society of Jesus making it the oldest university west of the Mississippi River and the second oldest Jesuit college in the nation. Saint Louis University is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. The first M.D. degree awarded west of the Mississippi was conferred by Saint Louis University in 1836. The university was ranked 81st by U.S. News & World Report in their list of the best U.S. colleges for 2005.
Saint Louis University is the oldest university west of the Mississippi River and the second-oldest Jesuit college in the nation. (Only Georgetown University has been in existence longer). It is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities.
During the early 1940s, many local priests, especially the Jesuits, began to challenge the segregationist policies at the city's Catholic colleges and parochial schools. Saint Louis University opened its doors to African Americans in 1943 after its president, Father Patrick Holloran, secured the approval of St. Louis Archbishop John J. Glennon.
For over thirty years the university has maintained a campus in Madrid, Spain with a student body of around 1000. The Madrid campus was the first freestanding campus operated by an American university in Europe and the first American institution to be recognized by Spain's higher education authority as an official foreign university.
Since 1953, the university has had a distinctive research resource in the Vatican Film Library, created through initiatives taken by Fr. Lowrie Daly, S.J. and generously supported by the Knights of Columbus. External scholars are able to apply for NEH Research Fellowships to gain access to the microfilmed manuscript collections. These fellowships are administered by Saint Louis University's Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.
In the early 1970's, the campus was the site of an emerging new stream of Biblically-based liturgical music that has enjoyed a world-wide impact. The composers were known as The St. Louis Jesuits. After a twenty-year hiatus, they released a new album in the fall of 2005.
221 N. Grand Boulevard; St. Louis, Missouri 63103. 1-800-SLU-FOR-U
Interior of St. Francis Xavier College Church