Seattle Preparatory School
From Ignatian Wiki
|Seattle Preparatory School|
|Principal:||Fr. Michael Tyrrell|
|Address & Contact Information|
|Address:||2400 Eleventh Avenue East|
Seattle Preparatory School is a Jesuit high school located in the United States in Seattle, Washington. It is located in the Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus and was founded in 1891.
Seattle Prep was founded in 1891 by two Jesuits, Father Victor Garrand and Father Adrian Sweere, as the School of the Immaculate Conception. Its original location was St. Francis Hall at the corner of 6th Avenue and Spring Street in downtown Seattle. The school offered both high-school and college-level classes. In 1898, the school changed its name to Seattle College and moved to First Hill, at which point the high school split off as Seattle College High School and moved to its present location. Seattle College High School changed its name to Seattle Preparatory School in 1933; Seattle College changed its name to Seattle University in 1948.
The school's motto is "Virtus in Arduis" or "virtue in all work." Additionally, the school incorporates the Jesuit motto of "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam" which means, literally, "For the Greater Glory of God." The schools mascot is the Panther. There are a variety of extra curicular activities through campus ministry, athletics, and various student clubs. The library is called Loyola Library.
2400 Eleventh Avenue East; Seattle, Washington 98102-4098.
Admissions Office: 206-577-2146