From Ignatian Wiki
|Named after:||Father Jacques Marquette (1637-1675)|
|President:||Robert A. Wild, S.J|
|Students:||8,048 (undergraduate), 3,500 (postgraduate),55.6% Female; 44.4% Male|
|Campus:||Urban, 90 acres|
|Athletics:||14 NCAA Division I teams|
|Motto:|| Numen Flumenque
("God and the River") Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam ("For the greater glory of God")
|Colors:||Navy Blue and Gold|
|Tuition/fees:||Undergraduate Tuition: $26,270; Room and Board: $8,880; Books: $900; Fees: $408; Personal Expenses: $1,350;|
|Address & Contact Information|
|Address:||615 N. 11th Street|
Marquette University is a Jesuit university located in the United States in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1881, it is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. Accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, Marquette University is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The largest college within the university is the Helen Way Klingler College of Arts & Sciences.
Marquette University was founded on Aug. 28, 1881 by Martin J. Henni, the first Catholic bishop of Milwaukee, as Marquette College, and named after 17th-century missionary and explorer Father Jacques Marquette, S.J. The school attained its status as a university in 1907. Marquette University High School, formerly the preparatory department of the university, became a separate institution the same year. In 1912, the relatively young Marquette became the first Jesuit university to admit women.
Marquette’s focus on the four core university values of excellence, faith, leadership and service challenges students to integrate knowledge, faith, and real-life choices in ways that will shape their lives.
Marquette's 11,500 students come from all 50 states and represent more than 80 countries. The university has more than 200 student organizations in various fields of interest. The student newspaper The Marquette Tribune was founded in 1916 and is published by the university. The editorial content is entirely the domain of student staffers, with assistance from a faculty adviser. It is published on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the school year. The Tribune offices are in the basement of Johnston Hall on the Marquette campus. The paper has won dozens of regional and national awards for excellence from the Society of Professional Journalists. While most of the 40-person staff are journalism majors, students from all fields of study are welcome to write. The Tribune's unofficial mascot is Tribby, a globetrotting newspaper.
Major buildings Sensenbrenner Hall currently houses the Marquette University Law School. One of the oldest buildings on campus, Sensenbrenner Hall is known for its stained-glass windows and traditional design, especially in the Howard B. Eisenberg Memorial Hall. Attached to it is the Law Library, which has contrasting, modern architecture. By 2010, the School of Law will be moved into a new facility south of the current one, and while it will not be demolished, the future use of Sensenbrenner Hall is uncertain. Robert A. Johnston Hall, which houses the J. William & Mary Diederich College of Communications. Built at the turn of the 20th century, the fledgling Marquette College almost went bankrupt to build this until Robert A. Johnston, a local confectioner, donated just over $100,000 to save the project. For a short while, Johnston Hall housed the entire College, including the Jesuit faculty. The now ivy-covered building once featured an observatory for astronomy students. MUTV, the student-run television station, MUR, the student-run radio station, and the Marquette Tribune, the student-produced newspaper, are produced in Johnston Hall. Gesu Church, completed in 1894, is considered the spiritual center of the campus, although it is not technically affiliated with the university. The Jesuit parish was designed by architect Henry Koch in the French Gothic style. It is said to be a scaled-down version of Chartres Cathedral in France. Student-organized masses are held each Sunday in Gesu Church, along with the annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, a traditional celebration at many Jesuit universities to begin the school year. Marquette Hall, built in 1924, is the four-story building that originally served as Marquette's Science Building with offices, classrooms and labs. In 1976, it was renamed Marquette Hall in honor of the University's namesake, Jesuit missionary-explorer Father Jacques Marquette, S.J. One of the most widely-recognized buildings on campus, Marquette Hall is home to several offices, including Undergraduate Admissions on the first floor. The four-story building features three lecture halls with 300 seats each. In the tower of Marquette Hall is the university carillon, a set of 48 bells. The bells are played every Wednesday and for special events
The Gesu Church,completed in 1894, is considered the spiritual center of the campus, although it is not technically affiliated with the university. The Jesuit parish was designed by architect Henry Koch in the French Gothic style. It is said to be a scaled-down version of Chartres Cathedral in France. Student-organized masses are held each Sunday in Gesu Church, along with the annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, a traditional celebration at many Jesuit universities to begin the school year.
Marquette's intercollegiate athletic teams were the "Warriors" from May 1954 to July 1994 when the nickname was changed to the "Golden Eagles". Prior to 1962 Marquette football was known as "Golden Avalanche" and other teams were known as "Warriors," "Blue and Gold," and "Hilltoppers." In 2004, Marquette began to consider changing the name back to Warriors, and conducted a poll that showed 92 percent of alumni and 62 percent of students "identified" with that nickname. However, the Board of Trustees ignored the results of the poll on the grounds that previous logos had been disrespectful to Native Americans, and changed the nickname to simply "Gold." An intensely negative reaction by students, faculty, alumni, and fans led to yet another series of votes, which eventually pitted "Golden Eagles" against "Hilltoppers." Respondents were told in advance that write-in votes for "Warriors" would not be tabulated, (although those results were later released) and "Golden Eagles" was restored in June 2005.
615 N. 11th Street; Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233-2305.