Help:Use pictures from Flickr
From Ignatian Wiki
- Go to the advanced search form on Flickr
- Enter search terms (e.g., Jesuit, Creighton, "Boston College") and check the box near the bottom labeled "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed photos". Find a photo you want to use and click on the photo.
- 1) To embed the photo (use it without uploading it), do the following:
- Go to the page in the Ignatian Wiki where you want to use it and select the edit tab.
- Copy and paste the statement below (for additional size and placement options, (click here).
- Replace "photo_number" with the Flickr photo number. It is in the URL after the user name. For example, the photo number for http://www.flickr.com/photos/jworkman/2228948184/ is 2228948184.
- Replace "caption" with text you want as a caption. Unfortunately, internal wiki links (e.g., [[Jesuit]]) do not work in embedded Flickr photo captions.
- 2) To download the file and then upload it to the Ignatian Wiki, follow the step-by-step instructions below. Advantages of doing this are:
- a) It ensures a legally licensed copy of the photo is available on the Ignatian Wiki, even if the Flickr user later decides to delete the photo, change the license, or change it from public to private access.
- b) It allows use of the photo in an information box.
Finding photos licensed for Reuse
Flickr is a "Web 2.0" photo sharing site owned by Yahoo that allows users to store photographs and provide different permission levels for viewing and reuse. If the user licenses the photographs under one of the Creative Commons licenses, then it is possible to use these photographs on the Ignatian Wiki without having to request permission. Over 59 million photos have been released for reuse under one of the Creative Commons licenses and there are thousands related to Jesuit institutions all over the world.
To find a photo licensed for reuse on other sites, use the advanced search form on Flickr and select the box near the bottom labeled "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed photos". It is not necessary to check the box "Find content to use commercially" (since the Ignatian Wiki is a non-profit, educational site). However, if you want to crop a photo, add a caption, or make any other modifications, you need to check the box "Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon". If you are browsing through the site and want to see if a given photo is licensed for reuse, look on the bottom right of the photo page for "Additional Information" (below tags) for the licensing info. It if says "© All rights reserved", it cannot be used unless permission is received from the copyright owner. If you want to request such permission, go to the Flickr user's profile page and e-mail them with a request to use it on the Ignatian Wiki. If it says 'some rights reserved' then one of the Creative Commons licenses was selected and the photo is available for reuse on the Ignatian Wiki or other websites, subject to conditions specified, such as attribution, no commercial use, and no derivatives.
Using Flickr photos in an Infobox
To use a Flickr photo in an information box without having to download and then upload the file to the Ignatian Wiki, following these steps:
- Edit the Infobox
- If there is a file name indicated after "|image =" (e.g., photo_needed.jpg, BC_photo.jpg), delete it. Failing to delete this will cause two photos to be displayed.
- add "|flickr = " (no quotes) just above "|image = "near the top of infobox
- insert <flickr>photo_number|m|thumb|caption</flickr> and change the number and caption
- preview to be sure it looks OK and the caption is correct
Loading licensed photos onto the Ignatian Wiki
To use Creative Commons licensed photos from Flickr, download the file to your computer, go to the Ignatian Wiki, select the 'Upload file' link in the toolbox menu and fill in the options as follows:
- Source filename: file name for the photo on your computer
- Destination filename: file name for the photo on the Ignatian Wiki
- Summary: a textual summary of what the photo is about. It is recommended you also give the User name of the Flickr user who took the photo, although this can also be accessed through the Source link below.
- Copyright status: indicate 'Creative Commons'
- Source: Provide the URL for the Flickr page for the photo. The easiest way to do this is to have two windows open and copy the URL from the browser address window and paste into this box.
When downloading the photo from Flickr, it is possible to choose different photo sizes. It is recommended that you download a low, medium, or high resolution photo if it is less than 500K in size. Do not use a very high resolution as many of these files are several megabytes in size. You can find out the file size by right clicking on the photo in Flickr and selecting 'Properties'.
- Overview of the permissions granted under the different Creative Commons licenses
- Flickr advanced search form (enter search terms at the top and then check the box near the end of the page that says 'Only search within Creative Commons-licensed photos')