Canisius High School (Buffalo)
From Ignatian Wiki
|Canisius High School (Buffalo)|
|City:||Buffalo, New York|
|President:||James P. Higgins|
|Principal:||William J. Kopas|
|Address & Contact Information|
|Address:||1180 Delaware Avenue|
Canisius High School is a Jesuit high school located in the United States in Buffalo, New York. The school takes its name from St. Peter Canisius, one of the early members of the Jesuits. It is located in the New York Province of the Society of Jesus and was founded in 1870. The school was first located on Ellicott Street in downtown Buffalo, but quickly outgrew that location and moved to a building on Washington Street in 1872. In 1944, the school split from the college and moved to its current location on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo's Delaware District.
HISTORY: The current Canisius site is notable in many ways. Construction on the present-day Koessler Academic Center, also known as Berchmans' Hall, was started in 1918 by George F. Rand II, founder and former president of Marine Midland Bank, as a private residence. Both Rand and his wife died before the mansion was complete, however. George F. Rand III, founder and chairman of Rand Capital Corp., completed construction in 1921 and moved in with his siblings.
The building was sold in 1925 to the Masons, who converted it into the Buffalo Consistory. The Masons made several additions to the building, including a large foyer, a pool, Turkish baths, bowling alleys, and locker rooms. The Masons are also responsible for building Canisius' unique auditorium. At the time of construction, this auditorium was state-of-the-art, boasting a full air conditioning system, a balcony, custom-made French chandeliers, and an advanced electrical lighting system, part of which is currently stored in the Smithsonian archives. This lighting system included a stained glass sun built into the ceiling, hundreds of individual "stars" mimicking the night sky, and a blue band representing the Milky Way.
The Jesuits purchased the building from the Masons in 1944 for $92,000. Soon after, the Beecher Classroom Wing was added to the south of the structure. A Jesuit residence was also added to the northwest side of the building. Sometime in the mid-1950s, the adjacent Milburn House, site of the death of President William McKinley, was demolished. Currently a student parking lot is located where the Milburn House stood. A plaque commemorates the site of McKinley's death.
Since mid-2005, Canisius has spent $2.1 million to expand its traditional campus boundaries. Construction is ongoing in the eastern suburb of West Seneca, where a new athletic complex for the school's teams will be located. The school has also acquired two residences adjacent to its campus on Cleveland Avenue in North Buffalo. In addition, Canisius purchased an office building located directly across Delaware Avenue from its campus. In January 2007, a mansion on Delaware Avenue was donated to the school by an alumnus.
In November 2007, the school unveiled a $14 million plan to upgrade its campus. The proposal calls for the demolition of Frauenheim Hall, which will be replaced by an enclosed athletic field house. A new math and science wing will be connected to the Beecher Classroom Wing, adjoining West Ferry Street.
STUDENTS: As of 2006-07, Canisius enrolls approximately 820 students from Western New York and Southern Ontario, representing 4 counties, 42 cities and towns, and 147 grammar and middle schools. Canisius High School is also noted for having a very diverse student body.
The Class of 2008 has produced 4 National Merit Semifinalists, all of whom advanced to Finalist standing, and 10 National Merit Commended Students, more than any other private high school in Western New York.
Graduates of Canisius study at universities throughout the United States. Members of the Class of 2006 attend Boston College, Colgate University, Cornell University, Duke University, Georgetown University, Northwestern University, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Pennsylvania, Rice University, Vanderbilt University, Wake Forest University and Yale University, among others.
1180 Delaware Avenue; Buffalo, New York 14209, United States.